After much study, prayer, and meditation on the subject, Ryan and I have made the decision to homeschool our children (technically just Sophie, for she is the only school-age child we have) for the 2011-2012 school year!
Here are the facts:
Homeschooling has been something that has been on my mind for quite sometime.
Porter misses the K cutoff, but is so ready for more.
I am very proactive (Ryan would say protective) when it comes to my children, and their education is important to me.
I want their education to be amazing! I want them to develop a love for life and learning.
I want them to have time. Time to explore. Time to bond as siblings. Time to pursue their interests and develop talents. Time to be a kid.
I want my children to grow in confidence and testimony in a safe, spiritual environment.
In this busy, crazy world, I want lots of family time.
... and like I told a friend today... I am ready to flex my teacher muscles!
Rewind:
In college I changed my major four times, and still graduated in four years! A fantastic feat many people at my dear alma mater, Chico State would tell you. My last major switch was in my junior year and it was from English to Elementary Education. This was an inspired switch, for that decision has blessed my life in many ways.
After graduation Ryan and I headed to Salt Lake City. While he atttended school and worked, I found a teaching job at a well-known private school. My experience in the classroom was invaluable. I realized that teaching was my passion, and was something I was really good at! After a couple great years there, I unfortunately had a bad experience with a co-worker, which led to more bad experiences with the administration. It eventually turned my classroom from something I loved into something I dreaded. The experience made me question my career choice, and I chose to leave, thinking my formal teaching life was over.
Thankfully, it was not. After moving to Provo for Ryan to begin classes at the Y, I decided to venture out and apply for some teaching positions. I secured a job at a wonderful little private school in south Provo. I once again realized my passion and love for teaching. I enjoyed my time there immensely, working up until my sweet Sophie was to be born.
So here we are. Except this time it's not so much about me. It's about my children. It's about using the skills I've acquired, and this talent I have been given to bless their lives... for at least this year. I don't know yet what the future holds, I don't have a map and set plan for the rest of their schooling years, but I know it is right for this year... my mother heart tells me so.
2 comments:
I know a great homeschooling group. I could get you info if you want.
Good for you!!
Are you having a great time teaching your own children?
Thinking of you...
Post a Comment