Wednesday, March 30, 2011

He's got skills!

A few Saturdays ago the sun was shining and the weather was warm...
... the whole neighborhood was out enjoying the day and our Circle was full of kids. Ryan pulled out our bikes for a little Spring tuning and took the training wheels off Porter's bike at his request.
Ryan went and changed from flip flops to sneakers in preparation for a day of running along side the bike as all parents do when training wheels come off.
After changing shoes Ryan came out and helped Porter onto his bike. He gave him a few instructions/tips and then Porter rode off... by himself... with no help!
He rode around and around the circle like a pro. Up onto drive ways and side walks, then down again with our whole neighborhood cheering him on. After a few minutes of riding and impressing us with his skills he rode up into our driveway, jumped off his bike, and ran into the house. Ryan and I looked at each other confused... where was Porter going in the middle of all this excitement and picture taking? Was he done riding?
A few minutes later he emerged with Sophie (who had been inside using the restroom). I hadn't even noticed that she had missed the moment, but he had.
He quickly ran to his bike and said, "Sophie, look what I can do!" He was off again... looking back quickly only to flash his sister a big smile. Sophie clapped and cheered with surprise and excitement...her smile matching his.
...I hope my children are always close. I hope their childhood will be full of memories together. I hope as they grow into their teenage years they will watch over each other and build each other up. I hope that as they get married and raise families that they will share in one another's lives. That they, along with their spouses and children, will support and be their for one another through trials and joys. I hope they will get together often, for dinners and holidays and events...
...and remember the truth that our family is forever.

1 comments:

Natalie G. said...

How exciting for Porter! I love that Sophie was just as happy for him as he was for himself. May the bond live on like you mentioned. Rich, rich with love.